The Absolute Best Southern Sloppy Joe's
Smoky, spicy Sloppy Joe made from scratch. The jalapenos give it the perfect heat (not spicy) and the ketchup and brown sugar give it the perfect sweetness. Add this sloppy joe mix to a toasted hamburger bun and a layer of cheese on the bottom. Plain and simple it's delicious and the bacon brings it over the top! I fried my bacon during the first 25 minutes. Then ground in a coffee grinder but you can add it with your onion and bell pepper if you wish and just process it with it.
Why do they call it a Sloppy Joe?
They probably got their start as a variation of the “loose meat" sandwiches that were popular at that time. ... According to legend, a cook named Joe at Floyd Angell's café in Sioux City, Iowa, added tomato sauce to his “loose meat" sandwiches and the “sloppy joe" sandwich came to life.
SIDES FOR SLOPPY JOES:
Baked potato wedges
Fries make a great side dish too (bonus if they're curly fries)
You Will Need
1 Pound Turkey Breakfast Sausage
1 Pound Turkey/hamburger
1 Cup Beef Broth
1 Medium Red Pepper (diced)
1 Medium Green Pepper (diced)
1 Medium Onion (Diced)
4 TBSP Bacon (minced)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (drained)
2 6 oz Cans Tomato Paste
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Salt
2/3 Cups Ketchup
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Jalapenos~
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
(salt to taste)
1/8 Cup Shredded Cheese
(on each burger)
1. If using frozen meat, start by adding sausage, turkey/hamburger and beef broth to your instant pot. Place your lid on make sure you are on sealing and not venting. Set your timer for 25 min with a instant release. Wait till your pressure valve goes down, and open lid.
2. Transfer Sausage to a food processor and pulse until bite size pieces. Add back to your instant Pot.
3. Next add onion and bell pepper to processor, and pulse until diced . (4 or 5 times) Or dice by hand and add to instant pot.
4. Add minced bacon, diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, pepper, garlic salt, ketchup, brown sugar, jalapenos, Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Place your lid back on and set to sealing and not venting, and set your timer for 15 minutes with an instant release.
5. When pressure valve goes down, open lid and add the other can of tomato paste and mix well.
6. Use as many hamburger buns as you need, and butter each half lightly and toast in frying pan (until lightly browned) Place 1/8 cup cheese on each bottom bun and then sloppy joes, sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
as always Enjoy~!
Subscribe to be entered into our instant pot give away! We are giving away a 3 qt, 6 qt or 8 qt,